Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Get Your Happy On.

Daily Scrap
Paint.
Collage.
Happy.
Glue It Tuesday.

I get up every single morning and get dressed to paint. Throw on one of my messy, painty t-shirts coupled with one of my well worn pairs of sweat pants and I assume that no matter what else happens I will get to spend at least part of my day following my creative pursuits. This after all is how I help contribute to our  income. It is my job. And some days when I am really lucky, that means I can be creative all day and well into the evening.  

It is easy to think that it sounds like this should be a simple  thing to do, after all it's not rocket science, that creating isn't after all a 'real' job but some days, when the ideas refuse all my efforts to bring them forth or when an idea does; ends up failing miserably and I am forced to start over, I know that it is all part of the process and I accept that, in fact I embrace it because I know that if I'm struggling it means I've shown up, on days when nothing works and I'm still slinging paint, it means I was present, I stuck with it and sometimes sticking with it is what it takes to get around the dark corners that we encounter from time to time in our lives. I rounded a corner and this little gem was waiting for me. This journal page made my entire day 'shine'.  C'mon, get your happy on!!!!!

I love that such simple things fill me with such happiness. As I finished it I wanted to run outside and jump in a pile of leaves. I wanted to call all my friends and tell them that if they truly want to find happiness to grab a paintbrush and a bottle of paint. 


I sometimes wonder if there isn't something wrong with me. I wonder why it is that such simple things make me so happy. Why I get so excited when I walk by the aisles of paint chips in a hardware store? I wonder why I have to stop and just stand there for a minute and stare at them. Think about all the stories they could bring to a canvas. Yeah, in truth I'll admit that lots of stuff in my daily life brings me happiness and fullness. I am proud of my daughter's. I have a wonderful husband. Our life is good; if not perfect. We've come through a lot of rough patches and the bruises we carry are proof that we are in it, to win it. But when it comes right down to it, I am happiest when I'm slinging paint, when I'm lost in myself. When I'm digging through the stuff going on in my head, chipping away the darkness, tunneling towards the light, going straight through my heart. Good things happen when I remain true to myself. 
Find what you know is 'true' for yourself and then stick with it like glue.
xxxoooxxx 

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS! All of it. Your painting, your words, and is that a Brian Andreas I spy... ? I have 2 StoryPeople books that I never tire of looking through... so much wisdom. I have the same flash-reactions of joy and delight in seemingly small or random things! There is definitely nothing wrong with you. If anything, there's something wrong with *not* enjoying life. : ) And you are so right about "sticking it out" and "tunneling towards the light" - like I said at the beginning of this comment, I just love all of your post! Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm so glad to have looked at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Merriam, love the way you describe your process, your day, your life! So full of passion. And the happiness you see in little things, I do recognize that feeling of joy. Paint is full of potential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I could spend the whole day painting and creating. I am happy enough to get a spread in my art journal and a blog post finished in one day...
    Enjoy! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am envious as I struggle with happiness. It alludes me...always seems like something gets in the way. Thank you for your joyful writing and beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple is good. So is happy, and paint, and bumps and bruises and thread and getting up in the morning prepared to create. Love your posts and your art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel happy just reading your words of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome read!!! I really enjoyed it. So true - it's amazing how much happiness a little bit of paint and a brush can provide. Wonderfully written. Oh - and yes, I LOVE your 'get your happy on' picture. It's GREAT :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post Susie - it's happy reading. Love your pages too. so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete