Monday, November 18, 2013

Big Crazy Wild Journal


Daily Scrap
Big Crazy Wild Journal

I created this journal a couple of years ago out of a vintage photo album I had been gifted. I wanted to do something a little different and thus this journal came into being and I have been working in it ever since, doing a few pages here and there as the mood strikes. I've always have multiple journals going at the same time so I have something to work in if a page is drying and I am never at a loss for projects I have going at one time. This journal has been by far my biggest challenge. It was not the easiest to bind but I so love how it turned out and it is a lot of fun to work in. 

There are 3 separate sets of pages all bound on a single open spine and that share the same front and back covers.
top set of pages
middle set of pages
bottom set of pages
original metal clasp that moves as the journal expands.

 Each signature of pages opens independently of each other so sometimes the pages interact with each in surprising ways. I've created some of the pages to work together across each other by making sure that the pages are all opening up at the same point in the journal and purposely created those pages to tell a story. It is similar to a cadavre exquis journal or book.

The journal has 3 tiers of 12 sets of 6 pages each for a total of 216 total pages and if you break that down to single sides of each page the grand total is 432. The journal is 15" tall by 6.5" inches.
The top and bottom tier pages are 4.5" tall and up to 6" in length. I used different sized papers so that when open some of the pages reveal the next page in front or behind it. The middle tier of pages are 5" wide. I used various papers to create the pages that range from 140 water color paper, scrapbook and various found papers to create a most unusual journal.

Here are are few peeks of the spreads I've been working on.


 I'm making it my mission to finish this journal before the end of the year at last count I had about 265 pages to go give or take. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can do it.
xxxoooxxx












8 comments:

  1. You have taken on quite a job! Love how it's going. The sequins are beautiful and give the viewer a sense of wonder. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely gaga over this journal. It's just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, susie, this is a fabulous journal... i *love* the pages... gosh, you're going to be busy between now and the end of the year!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-Maz-ing. Have fun filling the rest of it

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I love the way the pages can interact with each other I imagine it will be a very interesting and tactile journal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your journal is gorgeous, both the construction and the contents. I look forward to seeing more of it in the coming weeks

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant, as well as wonderful to look at. What a great construction for dreams, as they tend to overlap and get mixed together anyway. But, then, so does life. Love it!

    ReplyDelete